Monday, September 26, 2022

Terry Pratchett - Snuff

I had the pleasure of reading Snuff for the second time while recuperating from Covid-19. Reading my first review I felt I couldn't really add much to it. But I was surprised by how political it was. The struggle of the goblins for their freedom was a key theme, but I was also impressed by how he treated class relations. Both those of the countryside, with surly "peasants" bowing down to Vimes, while maintaining a strong sense of community and dislike of their rulers, and at the same time the mutual hatred between Vimes and the actual aristocracy. There are plenty of satisfying class based comeuppances, revenge and retribution. Snuff is I think one of the best Discworld novels and a perfect read for those trying to recover from a nasty disease.

No comments: